Technical Details of the MA-1
- Each Alpha MA-1 is engineered to the highest quality standards. Consistency in construction in all Alpha jackets ensures that each MA-1 looks identical and meets these strict standards. Important authentic details of Alpha MA-1's include:
- Each MA-1 jacket requires 57 separate sewing operations. These operations are highly engineered and each has a distinct quality purpose. The utility pocket, originally called the cigarette pocket, involves 8 sewing operations.
- The embroidered Alpha logo label is stitched in the left pocket, along with the white specification label. The labels are sewn inside so that they will not show if the jacket is reversed.When comparing the authentic Alpha MA-1 to other copies, look for the following special quality details in our construction to assure the authenticity:
- For extra strength - edge stitching on pocket flaps, bar tacks on interior and exterior pockets to prevent tearing, reinforced pocket snaps, double needle lap seams on sleeves, top stitching on the jacket back and cuffs
- Neatly constructed utility pocket with a ¼ inch taper and square corners in the bellows construction, with the precisely positioned pencil point protectors
- The knit at the bottom of the jacket is attached to the shell of the jacket (not sewn to both the shell and the lining during the attachment, because this construction can cause twisting in the waistband), and the knit is stretched uniformly over the bottom width of the coat
- The quilt on the storm flap is constructed using a 3 inch quilt on the points, with a tolerance of only +/- ¼ inch. The Alpha MA-1, which is sold to the commercial market, has several deviations from the government specifications. These changes have no effect on the appearance, and make the jackets more useful for consumers on an everyday basis. The deviations include:
- Water repellent treated fabric - this makes the garment more resistant to water and wind
- Knit collar, cuffs and waist band are an acrylic blend rather than 100% wool. It has been found that wool does not wear as well as acrylic and is subject to insect damage.
- The interlining is cut staple, non-quilted polyester batting rather than a quilted, continuous staple polyester batting; and has no performance impact on the finished garment.Alpha sets the standard for authentic MA-1's - often copied, but never duplicated. Alpha - Tried, Tested and Proven.